Cohesity Unveils Industry-First Technology that Unlocks Opportunities to Extract Maximum Insights, Visibility, and Efficiencies from Applications Running on Backup and Unstructured Data
Technology Enables Third-Party Applications to Run Directly on Cohesity Platform — Lighting Up Dark Data in Ways Not Previously Possible
San Jose, Calif. – Feb. 26, 2019 – Cohesity, the leader of hyperconverged secondary storage, today announced new capabilities that empower enterprises to run applications from Cohesity as well as third parties directly on the Cohesity DataPlatform. This milestone is a big step forward in empowering enterprises to derive insights from their most valuable business asset, their data.
This is the first time that enterprises are able to run applications on the same platform that houses massive volumes of backup and unstructured data. The benefits of this capability are far-reaching:
- Extracting maximum business insights: Enterprises are able to utilize applications to derive deep analytical business insights from all of their backup and unstructured data because the applications are running directly on the Cohesity DataPlatform. This eliminates the need to make copies of the backup data and move that data to separate infrastructure.
- Increasing efficiencies while reducing costs: When companies are forced to use separate infrastructure for running applications, this creates infrastructure silos and exacerbates mass data fragmentation challenges — often leading to increased costs and management headaches. Running applications directly on Cohesity solves these problems and gives customers the ability to manage everything from one user interface.
- Increasing visibility and data compliance: Customers will now be able to run applications that look holistically across all of their backup and unstructured data, which can play a key role in advancing business-critical goals around compliance, eDiscovery, and security.
In order to empower organizations to easily download and use applications, Cohesity also introduced the Cohesity MarketPlace, featuring applications from Cohesity and third parties. Additionally, Cohesity announced a software developer kit (SDK) as part of a new Cohesity Developer Portal, providing APIs, documentation, and tools that empower businesses and independent developers to build custom applications at their own pace to address specific customer use cases.
“Cohesity’s native integration with third-party applications will continue to simplify our entire backup environment,” said Ted Stevens, senior storage and virtualization engineer, Hyatt Hotels Corporation. “While previously we considered backup and unstructured data to be ‘dark,’ Cohesity opens up a whole new world of insight to begin to leverage backup and unstructured data for business value, while addressing challenges of mass data fragmentation in the enterprise.”
“Bringing applications to the data, versus data to the applications, helps enterprises increase data intelligence and reduce infrastructure sprawl that contributes to the problem of data silos and mass data fragmentation,” said Christophe Bertrand, senior analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group. “Cohesity has made significant strides to consolidate and further leverage unstructured data and applications on a single, unified platform, which it has significantly extended with the Cohesity MarketPlace and accompanying Cohesity and third-party applications.”
Cohesity MarketPlace Unlocks Opportunities to Do Much More With Backup and Unstructured Data
The new Cohesity MarketPlace includes applications from Cohesity and third-party ISVs that run directly on the Cohesity DataPlatform to conduct granular analysis, help ensure data compliance, and improve security, among other functions. Today, Cohesity announced a variety of new third-party applications:
- Splunk Enterprise: Customers can utilize Splunk Enterprise to analyze, investigate, and take action from their backup and unstructured data sets. Customers can download Splunk Enterprise from the Cohesity MarketPlace and run it on the Cohesity DataPlatform, making it easy to deliver business outcomes from real-time insights.
- SentinelOne: Customers can run SentinelOne Anti-Virus, which provides up-to-date virus libraries based on machine-learning algorithms, directly on the Cohesity DataPlatform. Internet connectivity is not needed.
- Clam Anti-Virus: Enterprises can defend their file infrastructure against attacks by running the Clam Anti-Virus open-source application directly on file data stored on the Cohesity DataPlatform, instead of copying the data onto parallel infrastructure for analysis.
- Imanis Data: Imanis Data expands Cohesity DataProtect capabilities to ensure protection of modern NoSQL workloads.
Cohesity MarketPlace also includes a variety of Cohesity-developed applications:
- Insight: This application uses a powerful index to search data as it is stored on the Cohesity DataPlatform, helping customers easily locate and take action on their data for compliance, legal, or day-to-day business needs.
- Spotlight: Customers can utilize this application to monitor any modifications to file data. For example, this application can determine, through anomaly detection, if there may have been a potential internal or external security breach, like a ransomware attack. Organizations can also easily search audit logs and obtain alerts on who is creating, modifying, accessing, or deleting files. This gives organizations significantly greater visibility and control over enterprise data.
- EasyScript: This application streamlines the complex and time-consuming process of uploading, executing, and managing scripts by providing convenient access to all script creation elements, along with Cohesity APIs and sample scripts, enabling enterprises to quickly and easily leverage customized scripts.
“We are thrilled to partner with Cohesity to deliver a revolutionary way for enterprises to secure their data infrastructure,” said Daniel Bernard, chief marketing officer, SentinelOne. “By running the SentinelOne Nexus Application on the Cohesity DataPlatform, customers get next generation AI-powered threat prevention without having to transfer any files or connect their clusters to the internet, ensuring a greater degree of protection across all enterprise data, no matter where it is stored.”
“Imanis Data is able to extend the value of Cohesity by leveraging its platform to help customers protect Hadoop and NoSQL databases, which are increasingly common among the broad range of data sources most companies use today,” said Peter Smails, vice president, Alliances, Imanis Data. “The Imanis Data cluster running on Cohesity provides a seamless solution for enterprises to backup Hadoop and NoSQL databases and keep the data stored on Cohesity clusters.”
“We are taking the same approach as the smartphone in providing the ability to run and manage multiple applications on the same platform with a single UI, and we are helping customers solve mass data fragmentation challenges at the same time,” said Mohit Aron, CEO and founder, Cohesity. “Empowering users to build and run applications directly on the Cohesity DataPlatform paves the way for a dramatically simpler and more efficient approach to infrastructure.”
Many of the advancements in this announcement are part of the Cohesity Pegasus 6.3 release. Customers can start taking advantage of the 6.3 release within the next month. The MarketPlace and SDK are generally available today.
For more information:
- Watch a video highlighting CEO Mohit Aron’s vision of bringing applications to data
- Read a blog post by CEO Mohit Aron: ”Bringing Smartphone-like Simplicity to Secondary Data and Applications”
- Watch a video that explains how Cohesity makes backup and unstructured data productive
Cohesity makes your data work for you by consolidating secondary storage silos onto a hyperconverged, web-scale data platform that spans both private and public clouds. Enterprise customers begin by radically streamlining their backup and data protection, then converge file and object services, test/dev instances, and analytic functions to provide a global data store. Cohesity counts many Global 1000 companies and federal agencies among its rapidly growing customer base and was named to Forbes’ “Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2017,” LinkedIn’s “Startups: The 50 Industry Disruptors You Need to Know Now,” and CRN’s “2017 Emerging Vendors in Storage” lists. For more information, visit our website www.cohesity.com and blog https://cohesity.com/blog/, follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/cohesity and LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/3750699/ and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/cohesity/.
Head of Corporate Communications
BOCA Communications for Cohesity