What Is Data Replication?
Data replication is the process of copying and storing data in multiple locations to improve data availability and accessibility across a network. The result is a distributed environment that enables local users to access the data they need faster, and without disrupting other users.
Data replication is a key component of disaster recovery (DR) strategies, as it makes sure an accurate and up-to-date copy of data always exists in case of a system failure, cybersecurity breach, or other disaster — whether naturally occurring or through human error.
Copies of replicated data can be stored within the same system, in onsite or off-site servers, or in multiple clouds.
Why Is Data Replication Important?
Data replication is key to business resiliency because data drives decision-making. It feeds into and informs mission-critical processes, analytics, systems, and — ultimately — business insights. You want to ensure that it is always available and accessible to users in as close to real-time as possible. Data replication can help you achieve this.
These are just some of the many benefits of a strategic approach to data replication:
- Ensure business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR) – By copying your data and storing it across multiple machines, you are assured that an up-to-date version will always be available no matter what hardware malfunction, ransomware attack, or other disaster occurs
- Improve app and data performance – By storing your data in multiple places, you can reduce latency since the data is located closer to the user or where the transaction is occurring — even if it’s at the very edge of the network
- Enhance analytics capabilities – When you replicate data to a shared system such as a data warehouse or to the cloud, analysts working from anywhere can collaborate on projects to power more accurate business intelligence, faster
How Cohesity Simplifies Data Replication
Many businesses today still depend on multiple different products to replicate data. This reliance on a patchwork of legacy products creates a complex environment that is difficult to manage. Increased complexity means more downtime, more latency, more lost data, and increased total cost of ownership (TCO). Moreover, mass data fragmentation and disconnected architectures are incapable of meeting 24/7 operational requirements.
Cohesity is committed to simplifying complex data replication processes, and supporting organizations developing strategies to meet strict criteria. With the Cohesity data management platform, you can:
- Protect data from accidentally deleted files, application crashes, data corruption, and viruses
- Enable fast, low-latency access to individual files and applications
- Provide off-site data protection and enable reliable disaster recovery
- Seamlessly scale to meet needs as data stores grow
- Easily establish policies for backup schedules, service level agreements (SLAs), and other data replication parameters
Cohesity delivers the only hyperscale, converged platform that eliminates the complexity of traditional data replication by unifying end-to-end data protection infrastructure. This includes target storage, backup, DR, and cloud tiering in addition to replication.
Driving innovation, Cohesity combines the advantages of global deduplication, scale-out architecture, unified data protection, and native cloud integration. The result: Cohesity can deliver very fast SLAs while simplifying your end-to-end data replication — and even your complete data management — environment at lower TCO.