Credit Acceptance Corporation (NASDAQ: CACC) is a finance company that provides automobile loans and other related financial products. The company operates its financial program through a network of 60,000 independent and franchised automobile dealers. Founded in 1972, Credit Acceptance has over 1,600 employees and assets worth $2.4B.In 2017, Credit Acceptance was ranked #43 on the “100 Best Companies to Work For” list.
Credit Acceptance has a large IT environment with three data centers, running over 1,700 virtual machines and around 60 databases ranging from 10GB to 14TB. For data protection, the IT team at Credit Acceptance relied on Veritas NetBackup and Oracle RMAN, coupled with Dell EMC Data Domain storage, which was nearing end-of-life and needed a refresh. Additionally, as a financial organization, Credit Acceptance is required to retain their backups and archives for seven years, which resulted in data growth that needed to be accommodated.
The team started looking at various available options including Dell EMC Data Domain + Veritas NetBackup, Rubrik and Cohesity. Upgrading their existing infrastructure with another Data Domain was an option but was cost prohibitive, and would have required substantially large CapEx and ongoing OpEx investments.
While evaluating available options, the team wanted their new secondary storage solution to have
- Inline compression and global deduplication
- Global scale-out file system
- Simple management interface and
- Deliver higher ROI
After thorough evaluation, Credit Acceptance decided to consolidate its secondary data on Cohesity, an easy to use secondary storage solution. As a hyperconverged platform, the IT team backed up their VMs on Cohesity, and leveraged the platform’s CPU cycles to enable instant recovery and global search on Cohesity. Additionally, Cohesity’s native Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) integration allowed the IT team to have a single backup and recovery solution throughout their environment.
Instead of creating unnecessary data copies onto their primary storage for development, Credit Acceptance started building their test/dev environment directly on Cohesity. This approach streamlined the process and also helped them to optimize their primary storage capacity running on Pure. The next step in the evolution for the IT team is to enable their developers with the ability to spin-up their own test/dev environment instantaneously on Cohesity.
Currently Credit Acceptance is using Cohesity for remote disaster recovery and plans to leverage Cohesity’s policy based native cloud integration with Amazon Glacier for long term archival.
As a global scale-out file system, Cohesity helped Credit Acceptance to consolidate their secondary storage environment and dramatically increase performance, while reducing their TCO.
- 18X Faster Backups: Previously Veritas NetBackup + Dell EMC Data Domain took 18 hours to merge and stitch incremental backups into a single synthetic full. With Cohesity, the backup window was reduced to one hour.
- 75% CapEx Savings: Instead of spending six figures on a new secondary storage solution, Credit Acceptance deployed Cohesity C2500 that cost just 25% of the alternate solution.
- 70% OpEx Saving: The team experienced OpEx savings in multiple ways -
- – The annual support on Cohesity is fraction of what it would have been with other solutions.
- – Time spent on backup and recovery reduced dramatically.
- – Easy to use and manage solution freed up time for the team to focus on more critical items.