Founded in 1990, Manhattan Associates, Inc. builds technology solutions that solve the most complex business problems in supply chain, inventory and omnichannel commerce. The company unites information across the enterprise, converging front-end sales with back-end supply chain execution.
Until recently, Manhattan Associates had used a traditional secondary storage solution to manage its large and rapidly expanding data footprint of ~1PB. Designed for traditional workflows, the company’s IT team realized it had become cost prohibitive to add features to their existing environment to support their VM level backups. Like most traditional storage options, the existing solution did not scale-out linearly, and complicated the environment by creating silos.
While considering their new solution the team wanted the following:
- A solution that would consolidate data protection and file storage with NFS and SMB support;
- Native integration with Amazon Web Services for long-term archival;
- A simple user and management interface; and
- Scale-out capabilities that support a pay-as-you-grow model
After careful consideration that included a proof-of-concept, the team decided to replace their legacy environment with Cohesity, a web-scale hyperconverged secondary storage solution that consolidates data protection and file storage, while providing simple integration with Amazon Web Services for long-term archival.
Cloud is an essential element of Manhattan Associates’ IT infrastructure. With Cohesity CloudTier, the company can use the Cohesity platform to provision NFS datastores while moving inactive cold VMs to AWS S3 and still keep them always available to the users. Manhattan also leverages Cohesity CloudArchive for long-term archival to Amazon Glacier, eliminating the company’s dependence on tapes. The data in the cloud is deduplicated and compressed for storage efficiency in the cloud. With Cohesity’s scale-out architecture, the team was able to start small and grow their Cohesity environment on the go, yet keep it unified and simple.
Cohesity allowed Manhattan Associates IT team to achieve operational efficiency and lower their TCO. With Cohesity:
- Manhattan Associates can easily and efficiently protect their VMs, which improves client service.
- Manhattan’s IT team is now able to do their own upgrades, updates and capacity expansions without disruption.
- Faster backup windows enable the team to spend less time troubleshooting.
- Upfront CapEx is reduced by using commodity hardware that is configured optimally for Cohesity.
- Ongoing OpEx is reduced through the use of a single solution that combines backup software, target storage, scale-out file storage, and cloud integration.
- The team eliminated the need to invest time in specialized training, and has increased their operator-to-device ratio.
- Budget was optimized by leveraging a scale-out pay-as-you-grow model.