What is Cloud Backup?
Cloud backup is a process in which data stored in a physical location is replicated and sent over a network to another, remote, location in the cloud to protect it from loss or corruption. Organizations choose information backup in the cloud to keep their data safe and accessible in case of a hardware or software failure, outage, or disaster — either natural or a cyberattack such as ransomware. Because all backup software and infrastructure is hosted and managed by the cloud provider, cloud backup is also known as backup as a service (BaaS).
The Importance and Benefits of Cloud Backup
Cloud backup keeps data safe and protected. It automates the copying and safeguarding of data in a remote location. Without protection like this, organizations could lose valuable data during hurricanes, floods, system failures, or cyberattacks.
The popularity of cloud backup is growing because organizations are increasingly dependent upon their data for daily operations. Many on-premises backup solutions require copies of data to be physically transported to an offsite location regularly and physically retrieved if restoration is required. Because this process involves many manual steps, it is more time consuming and less reliable than cloud-based backup and recovery.
Cloud backup solutions are:
- Easy to use – They eliminate the need to manually move copies of data made onsite onto tape or other media to an offsite location
- Accessible – Cloud backups can be made available anytime from anywhere with an internet connection
- Automatic – Back up data jobs are based on policies the organization sets. Users can easily adjust these policies at any time and once established, policies do not require manual oversight
- Secure – Data can be encrypted before sending it to the cloud
- Reliable – Cloud backup helps not only ensure data protection but is a reliable resource for long-term data retention
- Cost-effective – Teams gain on-demand, scalable, and low-cost capacity that helps to prevent data loss
- Improves productivity – Cloud backup frees IT staff to focus on higher-value work, since they don’t need to manage on-prem backup software and infrastructure
- Fast – Organizations can quickly back up critical files and restore data at a rate greatly accelerated over manually restoring from tape
The Difference Between Cloud Storage and Cloud Backup
Cloud storage and cloud backup share a common goal: to securely store data in a safe, offsite location, and make it easy to retrieve when organizations need it. Both use the cloud as the destination for data. Both are highly scalable — giving teams as much capacity as needed. After that, differences exist.
Cloud storage supplements on-prem data storage, only in an offsite location in the cloud. It gives you access to the data stored within it from anywhere, at any time, using any device with an internet connection.
Cloud backup, in contrast, is specifically designed to replicate and store data so you can restore it if it is lost or damaged.
Another important difference between the two is this: cloud storage is a manual process. You have to physically enter all the files you want to be stored in the cloud. Alternatively, most BaaS options automatically save files stored onsite, based on the preferences you set through policies.
There are also differences in security. With cloud storage, your data files are encrypted only when they reach the cloud server, not before. Cloud backup or BaaS solutions, on the other hand, encrypt files before transferring them to the cloud, making the operation more secure.
How Cohesity Does Cloud Backup
Cohesity simplifies data management, including cloud backups. Cohesity cloud backup, or BaaS, eliminates the time-consuming manual tasks of copying data onto tape or other physical medium at the end of each day and transporting it to a remote site.
Cohesity automates cloud backup, providing many capabilities and benefits to IT teams and their organizations.
- Predictable costs – Cohesity cloud backup empowers organizations to eliminate inconsistent CapEx and upgrade costs as well as lengthy planning cycles by shifting to OpEx with predictable subscription-based pricing. Teams also enjoy rolling feature updates, unlimited data restores, and no data egress charges with a single inclusive price
- Simplified operations – There are no gateways and no silos – just unified hybrid cloud backup with Cohesity. Your organization can sign up, connect, and protect your data in minutes with a single unified GUI and consistent experience for hybrid cloud thorough Cohesity. Plus IT minimizes data transfers while protecting data in flight and at rest with the encryption and flexible key management Cohesity provides.
- Ability to protect more and do more with data – With cloud backup from Cohesity, your team can not only automatically discover and protect on-prem and cloud workloads but allow others to do more with data, too. Cohesity is a single backup service that protects your on-prem VMware, files/objects (NAS), and cloud data such as Microsoft 365. And when you need to restore data, you can quickly search and find the data you need and quickly recover it to the original source or to a new location with Cohesity – even defend your data from a ransomware attack. IT Ops recommends cloud backup from Cohesity because it frees them from managing infrastructure and enables others such as developers and data analysts to do more with data.
Cohesity offers cloud backup and BaaS in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS).